Soccer Narrowly Drops Wild Affair At Butler, 4-3

Derek Kosek's goal in the 83rd minute helped put the Flames in position to draw even with Butler on Sunday.
Derek Kosek's goal in the 83rd minute helped put the Flames in position to draw even with Butler on Sunday.

Oct. 3, 2004

Box Score

Indianapolis, Ind.- Some teams have all the luck.

And some teams, like the young UIC soccer team, are still learning how to have luck work for their side.

It was only bad luck that haunted the Flames, with the team's second-straight three-goal effort all for naught as host Butler squeeked by UIC in a wild 4-3 contest that went down to the wire.

UIC (2-8-1, 1-2-1 Horizon League) had two wide-open opportunities to tie the game in the final seconds, but Pawel Otachel's attempt hit the post, then Eric Cervantes' put-back header off the rebound was saved by Bulldog keeper Frank Peabody to halt the Flames' unbeaten streak at two games.

Cervantes scored a goal for the third straight match, while Otachel notched his first collegiate points with two helpers.

Butler (8-3-0, 0-3-0 Horizon League) struck first in the 32nd minute, as Andrew Pancio hit the top right corner of the net from 12 yards out for the early 1-0 lead going into halftime.

The Bulldogs tacked on another one in the 50th minute, as Scott Olsen notched his seventh goal of the year with a header off a cross from Aaron Thompson to increase the Butler lead to 2-0.

UIC answered back four minutes later, as the returning Pavle Dundjer took a corner kick from Otachel and hit the right side of the net to cut the Bulldog lead in half. The score was Dundjer's second goal of the year.

Two minutes later, Butler grabbed the two-goal lead right back, as former Flame Roberto Gallo set up Olsen's cross to Cory Edgington, who rocked the ball past Jeff Engelbrecht from five yards in front of the goal to make the score 3-1.

The quick-strike scoring continued four minutes after Butler's third goal, as Cervantes sprinted down the right side and created a stellar one-on-one opportunity between himself and the keeper. Cervantes won the matchup, taking a shot from 15 yards out and beating Peabody to cut the Flames' deficit to 3-2.



Scoring halted for about 20 minutes, but in the 82nd minute Butler struck again. Gallo set up David Wyrick's 15-yarder that hit the right corner of the goal to bring the Butler lead back to two goals.

About 43 seconds after the Wyrick score, Derek Kosek tallied his first goal of the season, taking another Otachel corner kick and heading it past Peabody to bring the Flames within a goal.

Tonci Skroce's shot attempt in the 88th minute was blocked, and a frantic final minute that saw the Flames aggressively attack the Butler defense in search of the tying goal ended the game with the narrow misses by Otachel and Cervantes.

Engelbrecht had a tough day, giving up four goals while only stopping three shots on goal.

Cervantes, who took a team-high three shots, is now tied for the team lead in goals and points. The sophomore now has three goals and seven points in only six games.

Sunday's game ended a stretch that saw the Flames play nine of their first 11 contests on the road.

UIC returns to action next Sunday, starting a huge four-match homestand against the defending league champion UW-Milwaukee Panthers at Flames Field beginning at 3:00 p.m.