Flames Outlast SIU-Edwardsville in Double Overtime, 3-2

Ivan Stanisavljevic tallied two assists and scored one goal.
Ivan Stanisavljevic tallied two assists and scored one goal.

Sept. 16, 2011

Box Score

Final Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

CHICAGO - Freshman forward Jesus Torres scored his first-two career goals, and junior Ivan Stanisavljevic collected four points with one goal and two assists, as the UIC men's soccer team recorded a 3-2 double-overtime win over SIU-Edwardsillve at Flames Field Friday night.

With the win, UIC improved to 3-1-2 on the season, including a 2-1 record at Flames Field. The Cougars suffered their first loss since September 1, and fall to 3-2 overall.

"This was a big win for us; SIU-E has been a top-ranked team in its region the past couple of weeks," said UIC head coach Sean Phillips. "I was really pleased with how we were able to get the win; while every coach would prefer not to give up early goals and fall behind 2-1, the way we came back says something about our team.

"Ivan (Stanisavljevic) has been putting a lot of work, and it finally came together for him after an absolutely brilliant goal and individual effort over distance to get us on the board. His assists to get us back in the game, and his game-winning assist, were all great efforts. He's put in the work, and he's starting to look like he did as a freshman again."

Torres' first goal came in the 60th minute (60:56), and then he added the game-winning header with 6:53 remaining in the second overtime session. Both of his goals were assisted by Stanisavljevic, who also scored UIC's first goal in the 15th minute (15:41).

SIU-Edwardsville jumped out to an early lead, when Jack Twellman scored his fifth goal of the season in the sixth minute (6:18) - Nash Maduekwe was credited with the assist. Stanisavljevic then knotted the score just over nine minutes later, after playing a ball from Phil Galounis, and connecting on a strike from 25 yards out.

Brian Groark gave SIU-E the 2-1 lead in the 40th minute (40:43), scoring on the right wing from just outside the 18-yard box. The Cougars took a 2-1 lead into the intermission at halftime.

UIC tied the game at 2-2 with Torres' first goal as he and Stanisavljevic connected for the first time. The game remained scoreless for the remainder of regulation, and through the first overtime period. UIC's game-winning goal was again set-up by Stanisavljevic, as he served the ball to Torres from the left side of the field, and Torres headed the ball over SIU-E goalkeeper Scott Meyer with just over three minutes remaining in the second overtime.

"Jesus (Torres) has been tremendous for us this season," Phillips said. "He was a great youth player here in Chicago, and was a diamond in the rough type of kid that we were able to bring into our program. Earlier in the season, he was an assist-per-game type of guy, which I was perfectly fine with. But as every forward wants to do, he has that desire to score goals. Tonight, to get the one that tied us up, and to score the game-winner, is a bit of an insight into what that young man's future is going to be like here at UIC."

UIC recorded a 13-10 advantage in the shots department, and had nine shots-on-goal. Goalkeeper Piotr Kikolski made five saves, while Meyer turned away six shots for the Cougars.

In the opener of the UIC Soccer Classic, Wisconsin outlasted Drake, 3-1. The Flames will face Drake in the second game on Sunday (2 p.m. CST), proceeded by the Badgers taking on SIU-Edwardsville at 11 a.m.