Rotating image

UIC Flames
Official Store

    Soccer Remains Undefeated With 2-1 Overtime Victory Over St. Mary's (CA)

    Senior Peter Kelley scored the game-winning goal in overtime for the Flames on Friday.
    Senior Peter Kelley scored the game-winning goal in overtime for the Flames on Friday.
    Men's Soccer Home

    Flames Outlast DePaul in Double Overtime, 2-1

    Men's Soccer to Challenge DePaul at Flames Field

    Men's Soccer Falls to No. 3 Creighton, 3-1


    Flames Field

    UIC Flames Facebook

    UIC Flames Twitter


    Sept. 12, 2003

    Box Score

    Corvallis, Oregon - Another game, another thriller for the UIC men's soccer team.

    Senior Peter Kelley provided the late-game heroics this time, as his golden goal four minutes into overtime gave the Flames a 2-1 victory over St. Mary's in the opening game of the Oregon State/Diadora Classic at Paul Lorenz Field.

    The win keeps UIC undefeated at 4-0, extending the best start in program history.

    In the overtime period, Kelley corralled a loose ball at the top of the box then bent the ball into the top left corner of the goal from 20-yards out in the 95th-minute.

    "I watched it very carefully," Kelley said of his game-winning strike,"Then as soon as it curled over the keeper, I just turned and started celebrating."

    The goal was Kelley's third of the year, tying him for the team lead.

    It also marked the Flames' third straight 2-1 win, and second contest in three games won in overtime.

    "We seem to have a little flare for the dramatic," Kelley said. "We've gotten a lot of experience playing in tight games this season, so when the game went into overtime today we didn't panic."

    After playing to a scoreless first half, UIC got on the board first in the second stanza.

    Sophmore John DeVae scored his first goal in a Flames uniform when he rocketed a shot off the keeper and into the bottom left corner of the goal in the 51st-minute. Sophomore Roberto Gallo was credited with the assist on the goal his third of the year.

    UIC would have a prime opportunity to make the score 2-0 just five minutes later when DeVae was taken down in the box, setting up a penalty kick. Gaels' keeper Kellan Wilson made a sprawling save on Dennis Kings penalty attempt, though, shifting the momentum in St. Mary's favor.

    The Gaels appeared to tally the equalizer in the 68th-minute off a free kick, but an offside call on the play kept the Flames in the lead.



    That advantage would last for nine more minutes until a loose ball found the boot of St. Mary's Matthew Walker at the top of the box. He rifled a one-timer into the left side of the net to even the score, 1-1.

    The Flames will look to run their record to 5-0 on Sunday, when they meet Gonzaga at 2:00 p.m. CST, in Corvallis.