Rotating image

UIC Flames
Official Store

    Men's Soccer Comes up Short versus FIU in OT, 2-1



    Men's Soccer Home

    Flames Hang on for 1-0 Shutout Victory over No. 25 Valparaiso

    Men's Soccer Takes on No. 25 Valparaiso Wednesday Night

    Men's Soccer Ties Oakland in Horizon League Opener


    Flames Field

    UIC Flames Facebook

    UIC Flames Twitter


    FIU 2, UIC 1 (OT) Get Acrobat Reader

    CHICAGO - Junior forward Ned Pavlovic scored his team-leading second goal of the season to give UIC a 1-0 lead in the first half, but FIU's Colby Burdette scored a pair of goals, including the game-winner just over five minutes into overtime, to lift the unbeaten Panthers to a 2-1 win over the UIC men's soccer team at Flames Field Sunday afternoon.

    With the loss, UIC drops to 1-4-0 on the season. FIU completed a 2-0 road trip, improving to an unblemished 5-0-0.

    "We had plenty of opportunities to make the plays to win the game today; there were several chances for us to make the score 2-0, or even 2-1," said head coach Sean Phillips. "That being said, FIU is a great team - the reason they are 5-0-0 on the season is because they are making the key plays to win games; they made two of those plays today. We played very well at times, but didn't make the plays necessary to beat a very good team like FIU. We're still searching for the right formula to get results."

    Pavlovic came off the bench just past the mid-way point of the first half, and got the Flames on the scoreboard in the 31st minute (30:07). The play was set up by sophomore frontrunner Jesus Torres and senior midfielder Ivan Stanisavljevic, who both tallied assists on a through ball to Pavlovic, as he finished to the far post on the counter.

    Both teams took four shots in the first half, with UIC clinging to the 1-0 advantage at intermission. The Panthers were held scoreless for the first 11:28 of the second frame, before Burdette scored his first goal of the season. He beat UIC goalkeeper Piotr Kikolski to the far post after fielding a serve from Lyle Lindquist - Daniel Gonzalez was also credited with an assist on the play.

    Despite a series of offensive chances for both teams down the stretch of regulation, the score remained tied for nearly the ensuing 40:00. With 3:52 remaining in overtime, Burdette tallied the game-winner, playing a ball from Patrick Ramdial and Roberto De Sousa, and floating the ball over Kikolski's head. It marked UIC's second-straight sudden-death overtime loss.

    FIU held a 12-10 edge in the shots department, and each team attempted four shots-on-goal. Stanisavljevic, who pushed his season point total to six, took a team-high four shots. Torres and junior midfielder Phil Galounis both attempted two shots. Burdette and leading scorer Quentin Albrecht each attempted a team-high four shots for FIU. Kikolski made two saves, while FIU net minder Robin Spiegel turned away three shots from UIC.

    UIC will continue its four-game homestand next weekend, when the Flames host the annual UIC Soccer Classic presented by the Chicago South Loop Hotel. The action will kick off on Friday night beginning at 5 p.m. CST, when Wisconsin and Western Illinois go head-to-head at Flames Field. The Flames will take on IUPUI in the ensuing nightcap, scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m.