Men's Soccer Tripped up by #13 Georgetown in OT, 3-2

Ivan Stanisavljevic
Ivan Stanisavljevic

Georgetown 3, UIC 2 (OT)

Box Score

Get Acrobat Reader

CHICAGO - Senior Ivan Stanisavljevic scored his second goal of the season, and freshman Joel Salmerongave the Flames a 2-0 lead with his first-career goal, but No. 13 Georgetown scored three unanswered goals, including the game-winner less than two minutes into overtime, leading to a 3-2 win over the UIC men's soccer team in the Flames' home opener Friday night.

With the loss, UIC drops to 1-3-0 on the season. Georgetown remains unbeaten, improving to 5-0-0.

"Tonight was obviously a gut wrenching loss," said head coach Sean Phillips. "To play toe-to-toe with a top-15 team and be ahead 2-0 at halftime and not come away with a win is very disappointing. The effort of the team tonight is what we need every time we step on the field.

"We created enough opportunities to make the game 3-0 or 3-1, but did not take advantage. Against a very talented and experienced team like Georgetown, if you do not take advantage of those opportunities, they can hurt you and to their credit, they made us pay. We have to find a way to replicate the effort and become more efficient with our opportunities."

Stanisavljevic quickly got the Flames on the scoreboard in the 10th minute (9:02), scoring an unassisted goal from just inside the 18-yard box. He attacked the right side of the Hoyas' back line, and finished low to the right post from about 16 yards out.

Salmeron teamed with fellow freshman Kyle Lindbergto give the Flames a commanding 2-0 lead just 6:41 later (15:43). In a counter from the right side of the field, Lindberg placed the ball over a chasing defender's head, and Salmeron finished to the far post after trapping the ball and setting up the scoring chance. It marked Salmeron's first career goal, and the first point of Lindberg's career.

The Flames held the Hoyas scoreless until the 67:28 mark of the second half, when reigning BIG EAST Rookie of the Week Brandon Allen sliced UIC's in half (2-1). The freshman scored his fourth goal in as many games by capitalizing on a counter that cleared the UIC defense. The ball was served from the right side and passed the back line after a UIC defender fell to the ground - Allen beat an approaching Piotr Kikolskifor his team-leading fourth goal of the season.

Just under 11:00 later (78:26), Georgetown's Andy Riemer fielded a cross by Allen, and volleyed the ball past a diving Kikolski to the near post, tying the score at 2-2. Both teams held off a flurry of offensive chances down the stretch of regulation, leading to the first overtime session of the season for the Flames, and the second for Georgetown.

Riemer scored the game-winner just 1:50 into overtime, finishing far post from about 25 yards out.

The Flames attempted seven shots, including five shots-on-goal - Stanisavljevic led the way with a pair of shots-on-goal. There were a combined 31 called fouls in the match, and each team was flagged for three yellow cards. Georgetown held an 8-4 advantage on corner kicks.

The Flames will play their second of four-straight home games Sunday, when UIC entertains FIU at Flames Field beginning at 1 p.m. CST. The Panthers posted a 3-1 win over Wisconsin in Madison Friday night, remaining undefeated on the season.