Flames Collect First Horizon League Win, 63-59 over Detroit

Hayden Humes
Hayden Humes

Dec. 29, 2011

Final Box Score Get Acrobat Reader

CHICAGO - Junior point guard Gary Talton poured in a game-and career-high 21 points to lead three Flames in double figures, as the UIC men's basketball team recorded its first Horizon League win of the season, 63-59 over Detroit Thursday night at the UIC Pavilion.

With the win, UIC improves to 5-8 on the season, with a 1-2 Horizon League record. Detroit dropped to 6-9 and 0-3.

Talton's scoring output came on four three-point field goals to go along with five assists. He was joined in double figures by junior guard Daniel Barnes, who chipped in 14 points, and sophomore forward Hayden Humes, who chipped in 10. Detroit was led by Chase Simon, who scored 14 points on 5-of-14 shooting.

The Flames shot 47.7 percent from the field for the game, and held Detroit to just a 39 percent effort. There were a combined 11 ties and lead changes in the game.

"We're starting to find out what it takes to win in conference play, and how to win in general," said head coach Howard Moore. "To come home and step up against a great team like Detroit was great for our group. We fought some adversity throughout stretches of the game where we were struggling offensively, but our guys just sustained it, got stops, and showed a lot of fight. That's what we want from this group."

UIC got off to a quick start, building an 11-4 lead through the opening 5:23 - Barnes, senior center Darrin Williams and Humes all tallied field goals in the spurt. The Flames built their largest advantage of 11 points (16-5) with 12:11 remaining in the opening half after two quick field goals by freshmen Marc Brown and Greg Travis.

Detroit clawed back, and claimed a 20-18 lead after a dunk by Doug Anderson. The Flames built their lead back to six, 30-24, after a three-pointer by Humes with 1:52 remaining in the stanza. Detroit finished the half on a 4-0 run, pulling within 30-28 heading into the locker room at halftime.

After a three-pointer by Barnes with 12:15 remaining in the game, UIC built a 47-40 lead. The Titans responded with a commanding 13-4 run, claiming a 53-51 advantage with 6:08 remaining. Talton then scored nine-straight points, giving the Flames a 60-57 lead with 3:12 left - the run was fueled by four free throws, a driving layup and his fourth three-pointer.

Anderson pulled Detroit within 61-59 with just 49 seconds left after another dunk by Anderson. Detroit's Chase Simon was fouled on the ensuing play, but missed the front end of a 1-and-1 free throw situation, and Barnes corralled the defensive rebound. Simon fouled out on the next play, and Barnes hit two free throws to seal the win.

UIC will host Wright State in a New Years Eve Day Horizon League clash Saturday (Dec. 31) beginning at 1 p.m., from the UIC Pavilion.