Flames Come Up Short at Miami, 82-70

Dec. 22, 2012

Miami 82, UIC 70 (Final Stats)Get Acrobat Reader

OXFORD, Ohio - The UIC men's basketball team shot 47.2 percent from the floor, its most efficient effort in the past seven games, but dropped an 82-70 decision versus host Miami University Saturday afternoon at Millett Hall. The RedHawks shot 56.6 percent from the field and forced the Flames into a season-high 19 turnovers.

With the loss, UIC moved to 9-3, including 2-2 record in road games. Miami upped its record to 4-6 overall.

The Flames placed five players in double figures, led by senior point guard Gary Talton's 15 points. For the second-straight game, sophomore guard Joey Miller recorded a double-digit scoring output, chipping in 11 points off the bench. Miami was led by Elmhurst, Ill., native Will Sullivan, who scored a game-high 16 points on 6-of-6 shooting.

"We played a Miami team that has a lot of pride; we knew that they could put up these types of numbers," said head coach Howard Moore. "But for the second game in a row, we were a step slow defensively. Offensively, they did a good job of speeding us up and getting us out of our rhythm. The pace really hurt us tonight."

Miami built a 39-28 halftime lead after converting 16 field goals and shooting 50 percent from the field. Clinging to a one-point (8-7) lead, the RedHawks went on a 12-2 run to claim a 20-9 lead, and force UIC into its first timeout. Miami hit two-of its five first-half threes during the spurt. Talton and senior center Josh Crittle combined for a quick 6-0 run to slice the RedHawks' lead to just five (20-15), but Miami countered with a 12-3 run to claim its first double-digit advantage (32-20) of the half with 4:46 remaining.

Sophomore wing Marc Brown and Crittle scored on back-to-back possessions in the final four-minute segment, and the Flames forced three-straight defensive stops. But Miami ended the half on a 7-4 run, bolstered by a buzzer-beating three from Will Felder, to extend its lead back to double figures (39-28) heading into the locker room at halftime.

UIC quickly sliced Miami's lead to six points (42-36) just 2:03 into the second half, beginning a trend that saw the RedHawks' advantage fluctuate between six and 13 points for nearly the entire frame - UIC was within six or seven points on 10 times.

With 5:21 remaining, the Flames were within 67-60 with possession of the basketball, but turned the ball over. The RedHawks scored the next four points and never looked back, eventually building a game-high 14-point lead with 4:59 left.

UIC will wrap up its three-game road trip next Saturday (Dec. 29), when the Flames travel to the Glass City to take on Toledo. The Rockets are 3-6 on the season, and have been idle from competition since Dec. 8.