Men's Basketball Falls At Southern Illinois, 76-68

Martell Bailey leds the Flames with 14 points against the Salukis Thursday.
Martell Bailey leds the Flames with 14 points against the Salukis Thursday.

Nov 29, 2001

Box Score

Carbondale, Ill. - The UIC men's basketball team found life away from the Pavilion to be less than hospitable Thursday night, falling 76-68 in its road debut at Southern Illinois.

In front of 3,592 hostile fans at SIU Arena, the Flames (3-1) fell behind early and never took the lead from the Salukis (5-1), shooting a season-low 36% from the field on the night.

Sophomore Martell Bailey led UIC with a career-high 14 points (6-for-8 FG) while senior Thor Solverson collected the first double-double of his collegiate tenure with 10 points and a team-best 10 rebounds. Junior Jonathan Schneiderman also netted 13 for the Flames, hitting 3-of-5 from behind the three-point line.

Southern Illinois' Kent Williams led four Salukis in double figures with a game-high 21 points, hitting 11-of-16 from the charity stripe. Forward Jermaine Dearman posted a double-double with 13 points and 11 boards for SIU.

The heated contest between two athletic teams saw 50 personal and seven technical fouls called. All seven technicals were issued in the second half as SIU center Roland Roberts was tossed after getting his second with 2:53 left before UIC head coach Jimmy Collins exited after getting teed twice with :23 remaining.

The Salukis owned a 34-28 lead at the half as UIC, which missed its first six shots of the stanza, was held to just 30% (9-for-30) shooting from the field. Dearman lead SIU with eight points and six rebounds in the period while Bailey and Schneiderman each had five for UIC.

In the second half, UIC quickly trimmed the lead to one, 38-37 at the 16:54 mark. SIU would regain momentum over the next eight minutes, though, going on a 23-9 spurt to take a 15-point advantage (61-46) with 8:04 left.



The Flames were hampered during the run as senior Cory Little left the game with a concussion after hitting his head on the floor after drawing a charge. Even with the loss, the Flames did not go away, chipping the lead down to as little as six in the waning moments, but could get no closer before the final horn sounded.

The Flames will now wrap up their two-game road trip in Norfolk, Va., on Saturday, Dec. 1, as they take on Old Dominion (3-1) at 6:30 p.m. CST.