No. 3 Georgia Tech Edges Men's Basketball, 60-59

Senior guard Cedrick Banks posted a game-high 23 points against No. 3 Georgia Tech on Monday.
Senior guard Cedrick Banks posted a game-high 23 points against No. 3 Georgia Tech on Monday.

Nov. 22, 2004

Box Score

UIC vs. Georgia Tech PostGame Quotes in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

Chicago, Ill. - There was a common theme amongst the UIC locker room following the Flames' 60-59 season-opening loss to #3 Georgia Tech in front of a packed crowd of 7, 765 at the UIC Pavilion.


UIC competed until the bitter end when Flames' freshman forward Kevin Bond missed the front end of a one-and-one with six seconds left that would have tied the game.

Georgia Tech forward Isma'il Muhammad secured the rebound and was sent to the line for a one-and-one of his own. He, also, missed his charity toss.

UIC gathered the rebound and freshman guard Karl White sent a pass to junior forward Justin Bowen for a game-winning, three-point shot that sailed long, giving the Yellow Jackets the victory.

"I thought my guys put forth the kind of effort that it takes to compete throughout the country," UIC Head Coach Jimmy Collins said. "I think Georgia Tech is obviously a very good ball club with a lot of different weapons.

"I was just so pleased with the effort that we put forth against the Georgia Tech team."

UIC guard Cedrick Banks tallied a game-high 23 points, including five three pointers, followed by solid performances from Elliott Poole (9 points), Jovan Stefanov (8 points, 10 rebounds) and Bowen (8 points).

With UIC holding a 37-33 advantage over Georgia Tech (2-0) with 16 minutes remaining in the contest, the Yellow Jackets went on a 14-2 run, led by six points from Muhammad, taking a 47-39 lead with 12:32 left in the second half.

UIC quickly responded with a run of their own, as the Flames went on a 17-9 tear, led by seven points from Banks to square the game up at 56 with 3:40 left in the contest.

Jack answered with a pair of charity tosses, to put the Ramblin' Wreck ahead 58-56 with 2:12 left. Banks responded with his fifth trey of the evening, giving the Flames the 59-58 lead with 1:56 remaining.

Following a timeout, Georgia Tech finally made an effort to get the ball to their big man, 7-1 center, Luke Schenscher (8 points). Schenscher drew Elliott Poole's fifth foul of the evening, knocked down both of his free throws to give Georgia Tech the 60-59 lead with 26 second remaining in the game.

The Flames put forth a truly inspired effort in the opening 20 minutes as UIC built a 33-29 advantage behind 13 points (3 treys) and five rebounds from Banks. Georgia Tech did not help its cause in the first half, shooting 10% (1-for-10) from beyond the three-point arc.

UIC was troubled by some poor free throw shooting as the Flames converted just 50% (10-for-20) of its attempts. Georgia Tech also struggled from the line, knocking down 10-of-18 from the charity stripe.

Georgia Tech was led offensively by senior guard B.J. Elder (17 points, 3 treys), while teammates Jarett Jack and Muhammad each contributed 10 points apiece.

UIC will be back in action on Wednesday night, as they will travel to Ohio to take on the Bowling Green Falcons at 6:00 p.m. (CST).