Men's Basketball Thwarted By UW-Milwaukee In Horizon League Semifinals

Senior guard Jonathan Schneiderman converted all five of his three-point attempts on Saturday.
Senior guard Jonathan Schneiderman converted all five of his three-point attempts on Saturday.

March 8, 2003

Box Score

Milwaukee, Wis. - UW-Milwaukee senior forward Clay Tucker blocked UIC junior Aaron Carr's game-winning three-point attempt at the buzzer to help the Panthers to the 75-73 victory in the Horizon League Semifinals in front of 7,411 at the U.S. Cellular Arena on Saturday night.

UWM (22-7) moves on to the Horizon League Finals and will square off with Butler at 6:00 p.m. at the U.S. Cellular Arena on Tuesday night.

"My kids played hard," UIC head coach Jimmy Collins said. "(UW-Milwaukee) played good basketball and we made mistakes at crucial times."

Tucker and junior forward Dylan Page each scored 24 points apiece to lead UWM (22-7). Tucker and Page were a combined 24-for-27 from the charity stripe. As a team, UWM converted 29-of-37 their free throw attempts. The Panthers also received solid performances from senior guard Ronnie Jones (16 points, 4 treys) and Nate Mielke (10 points).

Carr led UIC (21-8) notched a double-double of 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Flames, followed by Jonathan Schneiderman (15 points, 5 treys). Armond Williams amd Cedrick Banks each tallied 10 points apiece for UIC.

Banks battled foul trouble all night and picked up his fourth personal with 15:48 left in the contest. Banks sat out for over seven minutes and returned with 8:36 remaining in the contest with the game tied up at 58-apiece.

Banks' return seemed to spark UIC as the Flames went on a 8-2 run, to take a 66-60 lead over the Panthers with 5:45 remaining in the contest. It was short lasted as Banks fouled out of the game with 5:16 left and the Flames holding a 66-63 lead.

"It always hurts when you don't have your best player," Collins said.



Junior guard Martell Bailey extended the lead to 68-63 following a 15-foot jumper with 4:50 left. On the ensuing possession, Tucker heaved a three-point attempt from the baseline, but was fouled by Schneiderman to give him three shots from the free throw line.

Those three shots turned into five shots as Bailey was whistled for a technical foul after arguing with the referee following the call. Tucker converted four of the five attempts to narrow UIC's lead to 68-67.

Both teams went back and forth with the game tied at 72-apiece with 2:32 left, following a pair of Page free throws. UIC senior center Kyle Kickert (6 points, 7 rebounds) split a pair of free throws to give the Flames a 73-72 lead with 2:08 remaining.

Page put the Panthers ahead for the first time in 10 minutes as he converted an alley-oop from Tucker to give UWM a 74-73 lead with 1:14 left.

Tucker split a pair of free throws with 19 seconds left to extend UWM's lead to 75-73 lead, setting up the stage for UIC's last minute 3-point attempt by Carr to win the game. Tucker blocked it out-of-bounds to secure the victory for the Panthers.