Men's Basketball Comes From Behind For 86-82 Triumph Over UW-Milwaukee

Senior guard Cedrick Banks scored 20 of his team-high 27 points in the second half.
Senior guard Cedrick Banks scored 20 of his team-high 27 points in the second half.

Feb. 5, 2004

Box Score

Chicago, Ill. - The last few games, it has taken University of Illinois at Chicago senior guard Cedrick Banks the first 20 minutes to get warmed up.

Once he gets rolling, watch out.

Banks scored 20 of his team-high 27 points in the final stanza to help the host Flames earn the 86-82 Horizon League victory over previously conference unbeaten, UW-Milwaukee, at the UIC Pavilion on Thursday night.

Over the past three games, Banks is averaging 19.3 points per contest in the second half.

"It's a really great win," UIC Head Coach Jimmy Collins said. "Anytime you beat the top team in the conference, it's a great win.

"We needed to re-establish ourselves against one of the top-tier teams in the league," Collins continued. "As far as must-win games go, all of them are must-wins, but this one was sweeter than the musts."

With the victory, UIC improves to 16-7 overall and 7-4 in Horizon League play, while the Panthers' nine-game winning streak comes to an end, dropping UWM to 15-6 on the campaign and 10-1 in conference play.

UIC seniors Martell Bailey and Armond Williams each posted double-doubles to pace the Flames' offensive attack. Bailey scored a season-high 14 points and dished out 10 assists, while Williams added 12 points and 12 rebounds.

The Flames also received solid performances from senior guard Aaron Carr (14 points) and sophomore forward Elliott Poole tied a career-high with 11 points.

UWM senior swingman Dylan Page poured in a game-high 31 points for the Panthers, followed by Ed McCants (18 points), Adrian Tigert (13 points) and Joah Tucker (10 points).

In the first half, UIC had trouble trying to contain Page as he accounted for 18 of the Panthers 32 points in the opening 20 minutes, giving them a 30-27 advantage with 1:54 left.



UW-Milwaukee coach Bruce Pearl was ejected with 30 seconds left in the first half after being issued a pair of technical fouls after vehemently arguing a foul call against the Panthers.

Carr converted 3-of-4 of his technical free throws and Poole knocked down both of his charity shots to give UIC the 32-30 advantage when it was all said and done.

UW-Milwaukee answered with a pair of free throws from McCants to knot the game up at 32-apiece, before Poole countered with a lay-up at the buzzer, giving the Flames the 34-32 advantage heading into the intermission.

After being held to only one three-pointer in the first half, UWM came out smoking in the final stanza, knocking down four of their first five attempts, building a 60-50 lead with 10:38 left in the game.

The Flames, however, would not go away quietly as they countered with an 23-5 run over the next five minutes, paced by 13 points from Banks, to take a 76-65 advantage with 2:58 left in the game.

UWM answered with a 13-5 run, led by a pair of treys from Page, narrowing the lead to 81-78 with 25 seconds left.

It was a game of free throws from that point on as the Flames went 5-for-6 from the line to put the game out of reach for the Panthers.

UIC will be back in action on Thursday, February 12th, as they will travel to Ohio to square off with Youngstown State at 6:00 p.m. (CST).