Aug. 4, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Team: Men’s Soccer
Moment: Men’s Soccer Headlines Horizon League Awards
Date: November 11, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, Ind.
Bob Novak was named the 2013 Horizon League Co-Player of the Year, in addition to Josh Beard taking home Defensive Player of the Year, Andrew Putna collected Freshman and Goalkeeper of the Year, and head coach Sean Phillips rounded out the field as Coach of the Year. Nine Flames were also named to the All-League First Team, All-League Second Team and All-Freshmen Team.
- This marked the first time in program history that five Flames represented the field of 11 on the All-League First Team, as seniors Slobodan Aleksov, Beard and Novak, junior Jesus Torres and Putna picked up this year’s honors.
- Sophomore Thomas Villamil collected the All-League Second Team nomination, while freshmen Gonzalo Romo, Kyle Hamann and Putna were named to the All-Freshman Team.
- Novak finished the season with three goals and six assists.
- Beard ended the season with three goals, two of which were game-winners. Beard guided the Flames’ back line, who contributed to 10 shutouts and limited the opposition to scoring just 16 goals.
- Putna recorded 10 shutouts on the season, five of which were consecutive.
- Phillips ended his fourth season with the flames with a 16-4-0 and a perfect 7-0-0 conference record. Phillips led his team to a 10-match win streak this past season and a national ranking of No. 23 on November 12, 2013.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS:
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships
June 12 - Volleyball's Five-Set Win over Marshall
June 13 - Barlow's 38 Points Clinches Third Place for Flames at Showcase
June 16 - Women's Tennis Defeats Oakland 6-1
June 17 - Smollen Wins Individual Title at Green Bay Dual
June 19 - Ishimaru Wins 200 Butterfly at HL Championship
June 20 - UIC Upsets Michigan State and Indiana in Hoosier Classic
June 23 - Women's Soccer Completes Roster for Inaugural Season
June 24 - UIC to Host 2018 NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships
June 26 - Men's Tennis Extends Win Streak to Three
June 27 - Women's Swimming and Diving's Strong Showing at HL Championships
June 30 - Flames Collect Eighth Straight with 3-1 Win Over Drake
July 1 - Flames Tie Program Record With 11th Straight Win
July 2 - Flames Power Their Way to an 18-5 Romp Against Purdue
July 3 - Ehrhardt Earns All-Region Honors
July 7 - Women's Gymnastics Tops Illinois State in Final Home Meet
July 8 - Mwale Wins High Jump at HL Championships
July 10 - Volleyball Wins Five-Set Thriller at Cleveland State
July 11- UIC Defeats March Madness Participant Milwaukee, 80-58
July 14 - Knoppe Ties UIC Career Singles Victories Record
July 15 - Ishimaru and Ciesielski Win HL Weekly Awards
July 17 - Hernandez Earns HL Tournament Batting Champion Award
July 18 - Mangal's 76 Highlights Round Two of Horizon League Championship
July 21 - UIC Dance Takes Third at NDA Collegiate Championships
July 22 - Gaides Sixth in All-Around at NCAA Qualifier
July 24 - Men's Tennis Wins Senior Day against Youngstown State
July 25 - Johnson Dives at NCAA Zone C Championships
July 28 - Men's Soccer Earns No. 23 National Ranking
July 29 - Flames Break Program Record with 73-65 Win at Youngstown State
July 31 - Andersen Shines as UIC Baseball Wins Eighth Straight
August 1 - Men's Track & Field Wins Twice at HL Indoor Championships