June 17, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Team: Women’s Golf
Moment: Caitlan Smollen Wins Individual Title at Green Bay Dual
Date: September 15, 2013
Location: Cog Hill Golf Course in Lemont, Ill.
UIC faced off against Green Bay and shot 323 as a team, six strokes behind the Phoenix (317). Sophomore Caitlan Smollen took home the individual crown by carding a career-low 76. She bested Green Bay’s Katie Pokrandt (77) by one stroke to collect the first individual victory in program history.
- Smollen played in all 12 tournaments during the fall and spring seasons.
- She posted three rounds in the 70s including a 79 in the final round of the Horizon League Championship where she tied for 27 with a three-round total of 253 (86-88-79).
- She carded a 79 in the first round of the Cougar Golf Classic (Sept. 16) and tied for 40th with a two-round total of 163 (79-54).
- She tied for sixth at the Chi Town Classic (Sept. 2) with a round of 80 and fired an 81 during the second round of the Green Bay Invite (Sept. 10).
- She shot 14 birdies in the 2013-14 season and held a scoring average of 85.14.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships
June 12 - Volleyball's Five-Set Win over Marshall
June 13 - Barlow's 38 Points Clinches Third Place for Flames at Showcase
June 16 - Women's Tennis Defeats Oakland 6-1