June 12, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Moment: Five-Set Victory Over Marshall at UIC Invitational
Date: Sept. 6, 2013
Location: Flames Athletic Center in Chicago, Ill.
UIC picked up its biggest win of the season with a five-set thrilling home victory over Marshall on the opening night of the UIC Invitational. The Flames held a 2-1 advantage, dropped the fourth set but hit .435 in the fifth and decisive set to seal the victory. The win helped UIC place second in its own tournament.
- Marshall finished the season with 16 wins and an RPI rating of 125, which was the highest of all opponents UIC defeated.
- The Flames’ win included one of the best offensive team performances in the Horizon League. UIC collected 73 assists on 76 kills, which ranked first and second, respectively League’s statistics.
- UIC also collected a season-high 81 digs, a .247 attack percentage (third highest of the season) and 9.0 blocks (third highest of the season).
- Senior MaryKate Imrie had a Horizon League-high 65 assists against Marshall and was named to the UIC Invitational team.
- Imrie ended her career ranked third in program history with 3,634 assists.
- Freshman Kara Johnson recorded season-highs in both kills (20) and digs (13) in the match against Marshall, and finished the season ranked second on the team for kills with 304.
- Imrie (6) and Johnson (4) combined collected ten out of UIC’s eleven double-doubles on the season.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga
June 3 - Women's Basketball Defeats Wisconsin for Eighth Straight Win
June 5 - Granderson Opens New Stadium at UIC
June 6 - Ehrhardt Wins HL Women's Athlete of the Year
June 9 - Dion Named NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year
June 10 - Ogunleye Wins Triple Jump at HL Championships