June 6, 2014
2013-14 UIC Athletics Accomplishments
2013-14 UIC Athletics Accomplishments
POINTS OF PRIDE
• UIC Athletics cut the ribbon on new $10 million Curtis Granderson Stadium on April 17. The $5 million donated by Granderson is the largest one-time gift ever recorded from a pro athlete to their alma mater, according to Sports Illustrated.
• Men’s Soccer won the 2013 Horizon League Regular Season Title for the first time since 2008 by going undefeated in conference play. The squad also reached a season-high No. 23 national ranking on Nov. 12 by the NSCAA.
• Women’s Tennis Coach Shannon Tully received UIC’s Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs (VCSA) Outstanding Staff Award.
• Women’s Volleyball Coach Katie Schumacher-Cawley was given UIC’s INSPIRE award, which recognizes individuals who have based their work and daily attitudes on UIC’s core values of Integrity, Nurturance, Service, Pride, Intellect, Respect and Excellence.
• UIC Athletics hosted inaugural “Night to Ignite”, a first-class awards ceremony dedicated to Flames’ student-athletes.
• Women’s Basketball mounted the largest turnaround in the nation (+17 wins) and claimed the postseason WBI Championship.
• UIC Women’s Soccer announced its very first 25-member recruiting class for the inaugural 2014 season.
- 14 Individual Specialty Award Winners
• Horizon League Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Year, Tess Ehrhardt, Junior
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Coach of the Year Sean Phillips
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Co-Player of the Year, Bob Novak, Senior
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Year, Slobodan Aleksov, Senior
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Player of the Year, Josh Beard, Senior
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Goal Keeper of the Year, Andrew Putna, Freshman
• Horizon League Men’s Soccer Freshman of the Year, Andrew Putna
• MIC Gymnast of the Year, Catherine Dion, Senior
• MIC Senior Gymnast of the Year, Catherine Dion, Senior
• NCAA Regional Gymnast of the Year, Catherine Dion, Senior
• Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year, Ruvanna Campbell, Sophomore
• Women’s Basketball Invitational Most Valuable Player, Ruvanna Campbell, Sophomore
• Horizon League Scholar-Athlete of the Month (October), Tess Ehrhardt, Junior, Cross Country
• Horizon League Scholar-Athlete of the Month (February), Jacki Fletcher, Senior, Softball
- 11 Regional and National Honors
• Men’s Soccer: Bob Novak, Sr. (NSCAA Great Lakes All-Region Second Team)
• Men’s Soccer: Josh Beard, Sr. (NSCAA Great Lakes All-Region Third Team)
• Men’s Soccer: Slobodan Aleksov, Sr. (NSCAA Great Lakes All-Region Third Team)
• Men’s Soccer: Jesus Torres, Jr. (NSCAA Great Lakes All-Region Third Team)
• Men’s Soccer: Andrew Putna, Fr. (College Soccer News All-Freshman Third Team)
• Women’s Cross Country: Tess Ehrhardt, Jr. (NCAA Midwest All-Regional Team)
• Softball: Jacki Fletcher, Sr. (Capital One Academic All-District 5 First Team)
• Softball: Jacki Fletcher, Sr. (NFCA All-Great Lakes Region Second Team)
• Softball: Natalie Hernandez, Sr. (NFCA All-Great Lakes Region Third Team)
• Softball: Paige Peterson, Jr. (NFCA All-Great Lakes Region Third Team)
• Softball: Jacki Fletcher, Sr. (Capital One Academic All-American First-Team)
- 46 Horizon League, MIC or ECAC Player/Athlete of the Week selections
- 71 Horizon League, MIC or ECAC All-League Selections
- 10 Individual NCAA Championship Participants
• Catherine Dion, Senior (Women’s Gymnastics)
• Gabrielle May, Junior (Women’s Gymnastics)
• Bryan Pusateri, Junior (Men’s Gymnastics)
• Lukasz Adamczyk, Senior (Men’s Gymnastics)
• Brett Valin, Junior (Men’s Gymnastics)
• Jason Gaides, Junior (Men’s Gymnastics)
• Joseph Hodges, Senior (Men’s Gymnastics)
• Connor Howard, Junior (Men’s Swimming & Diving)
• Tyler Pastore, Freshman (Men’s Swimming & Diving)
• Whitney Johnson, Junior (Women’s Swimming & Diving)
TEAM SPORT NOTABLES
- Women’s Basketball
2012-13 Record: 9-21 (5-11 Horizon): .300 winning %
2013-14 Record: 26-9 (10-6 Horizon): .743 winning %
• Largest turnaround in the nation (+17 wins)
• Set program record for most wins in a single season (26)
• Won postseason WBI Championship
• Defeated Big Ten-member Wisconsin during program record 11-game win streak
- Men’s Soccer
2012-13 Record: 7-8-2 (3-3-1 Horizon): .467 winning %
2013-14 Record: 16-4-0 (7-0-0 Horizon): .800 winning %
• Set program record for most wins during the regular season (15)
• Set program record for most wins during the conference season (7)
• Won Horizon League Regular Season Championship for first time since 2008
• Ranked No. 23 in the NSCAA Poll on Nov. 12
• During the 2014 Spring Semester, UIC student-athletes averaged a 3.01 cumulative GPA.
• During both Fall and Spring Semesters, UIC student-athletes produced 55 unblemished 4.0 individual semester GPAs.
• Nearly 25 percent of UIC student-athletes earned a spot on the Horizon League honor roll with a 3.20 GPA or better.
• UIC’s Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) teamed up with the nation-wide movement of Giving Tuesday for two service related projects. The group collected and organized supplies for Operation Care Package, a public charity whose goal is to remember the U.S. service members stationed overseas by providing them with care packages. SAAC also
worked with Lifesource to organize a department-wide blood drive which yielded more than 100 donors.
• SAAC volunteered with the Special Olympics Basketball Tournament housed in UIC’s Physical Education Building.
• UIC’s individual varsity sport teams engage in various additional community volunteer work throughout the year.