June 3, 2014
The 2013-14 academic year featured exceptional accomplishments for UIC student-athletes. Over the summer months (June 2 – August 8), UICFlames.com will rewind and look back on the Top 40 Flames’ Moments from 2013-14. Each sport will be featured over ten weeks as we recap the year that was in UIC Athletics.
Team: Women’s Basketball
Moment: Flames Defeat Wisconsin 58-56 for Eighth Straight Win
Date: December 21, 2013
Location: UW Field House in Madison, Wis.
UIC won its eighth consecutive game with a 58-56 road victory over Big Ten program Wisconsin. Rachel Story scored a game-high 25 points and hit the game-winning three-pointer with 20 seconds remaining.
- The victory was the sixth win over Wisconsin in program history and the first in 34 seasons (1979-80 season).
- It snapped a 13-game win streak by the Badgers in the series.
- UIC has collected 25 Big Ten victories in program history and nine since the Flames became a Division I program in 1980-81.
- The victory over Wisconsin was the program’s third Big Ten road victory since being admitted to Division I. The other two victories came against Northwestern during the 2003-04 season and the 2004-05 season.
- The Flames went on to continue their win streak to 11 before falling to Green Bay on Jan. 8, 2014.
- Story led all scoring with 25 points against Wisconsin, and finished the season averaging 18.5 points, 3.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.6 steals over 36.5 minutes per game. Story was named to the WBI Tournament Team as well as the All-Horizon League Second Team.
- Ruvanna Campbell collected her eighth double-digit rebound effort against Wisconsin, scoring eight points and 11 rebounds. Campbell ended the season with 33 double-digit scoring performances and 28 double-digit rebound efforts. Campbell was named the WBI Tournament MVP and Horizon League Defensive Player of the Year. Campbell was selected to the First Team All-Horizon League and the All-Horizon League Defensive Team.
PREVIOUS TOP MOMENTS
June 2 - Men's Soccer Posts 1-0 Shutout Against #19 Gonzaga